[OpenAFS-devel] multi-file based cache vs. single-file based cache

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 12:10:48 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Neulinger, Nathan R. wrote:

> Does the 'multi-file' based cache outperform a single-file based cache? It
> seems to me that if a single-file based cache ran good, it might be an easy
> way to get rid of a lot of filesystem issues, like this one with reiserfs.

I don't think anyone knows the answer to this.  A single-file cache would
require nontrivial changes to the cache manager.  It's certainly doable,
but it would take some effort.  Of course, I can't speak for whether such
a change would be accepted.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer