[reiserfs-list] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] more on the 2.2.18pre17 SMPcpu hog/etc.

Andi Kleen ak@suse.de
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 18:31:25 +0100

> Someone suggested caching dentries for all of the cache files.  While this
> might be portable, it would result in huge numbers of dentries being kept
> around basically all the time, which somehow doesn't strike me as being a
> good idea.

Alternative is to keep file names around. Keeping dentries or inodes is
just a shortcut. With a suitable file system structure (not too big
directories, multiple directories) even keeping file names and opening
on demand should be no problem, because the directory cache in the kernel
will cache the lookup for you.

-Andi