[OpenAFS-devel] Re: autoconf

aeneous@speakeasy.org aeneous@speakeasy.org
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:11:52 -0500

Most of the "features" that are system-dependent, on which AFS depends,
are not features at all, and are not things that autoconf is going to
know about.

They are things like -- is the "size" field in the inode named "size",
or "i_size"?  How many parameters does vfs_strategy take? Should I use
socket code in the kernel or TLI?  How do I lock an in-core inode?

I'm not sure this is "merely tedious".  I think Bill S. underestimates
the magnitude of the final merge if it's to be all done at once.

However, I do think that the job can be tackled in stages.
First, don't touch any of the code itself, just restructure the build
environment so as not to need washtool and then set up a simple
set of #defines from autoconf system identifiers to AFS_SYSID names.

Once that is done, you can go through the code module by module and
#ifdef AFS_NEXT_ENV (eg) with #if BSD_SIGNALS or whatever as
appropriate.

The hardest module will be the CM.  Perhaps the others really will be
merely tedious.  We can hope.