[OpenAFS-devel] openafs cell and contrib area?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
14 Dec 2000 00:52:24 -0500

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

> Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU> writes:
>
> > Personally, I would mount RO on /afs/<cell> and RW on /afs/.<cell> If
> > you request a shortcut, then I'd symlink /afs/<cell-shortcut>-><cell>
> > and /afs/.<cell-shortcut>->.<cell>
>
> Right, that's what I want too.
>
> I wonder if we could just standardize on .<cell> being the read/write for
> <cell> in /afs; that combined with DNS searching so that you could use
> just the first part of the cell name would give me all the functionality
> I'd need for root.afs to not be a regular volume.

That would certainly be how _I_ would implement it :)

E.g.

ls -l /afs
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 16   .andrew -> .andrew.cmu.edu
drwxrwxrwx  1 root root 4096 .andrew.cmu.edu	(RO)
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 16   .athena -> .athena.mit.edu
drwxrwxrwx  1 root root 4096 .athena.mit.edu	(RW)
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 15   andrew -> andrew.cmu.edu
drwxrwxrwx  1 root root 4096 andrew.cmu.edu	(RO)
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 15   athena -> athena.mit.edu
drwxrwxrwx  1 root root 4096 athena.mit.edu	(RO)

-derek