[OpenAFS-devel] openafs cell and contrib area?

Neulinger, Nathan R. nneul@umr.edu
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 09:46:37 -0600

Because of a situation like ken's krb5 patch. Useful to plenty of people,
but the maintainers weren't interested in including more than a tiny
fraction of it, and because it wasn't available in a central location where
people could look for contributions/etc, there has been a LOT of duplication
of effort.

Granted, I'm being a bit pessimistic there, but I figure it's better to plan
ahead.

I'm also thinking things like MR-AFS, where it may not be suitable for
public consumption on the mainline, but could be very useful if you have the
infrastructure. Or for that matter "here's something I was playing with, it
doesn't work yet, but it could be useful if someone put a few hours of work
into getting it cleaned up"

If nothing else - set up a page where people can EASILY get links added to
point at contributed code/patches/etc. That way, there is one place to look
for stuff, even if it isn't added to the mainline code.

-- Nathan