[OpenAFS-devel] compiling on debian linux?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
03 Nov 2000 18:36:54 -0500

Um, <linux/version.h> is in every version of Linux..  It is CERTAINLY
not a RedHat-ism, and it has been around since, oh, 0.99 days!  I'm
sure that you have /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h, at least
once you "make config; make dep".

The current OpenAFS build process does build against a set of "known"
kernels.  Take a look at config/Makefile.LINUX as well as
libafs/MakefileProto.LINUX.  You can build against your own kernel
version by adding "LINUX_VERS=2.1.17", as per the documentation in the
source files.

FTR, Sam Hartman is working on a Debian package for OpenAFS, and I
am working on a RedHat package.

In other words, OpenAFS is not, yet, ready for prime-time.. It's
still, IMHO, a 'development source tree' and is not ready for everyday
users.  I certainly encourage everyone to look at what is there and
try to understand the process on their own, and I expect (and hope)
that the cleanliness will change in the near future.

-derek