[OpenAFS-devel] Re: openafs patches for solaris 8

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
Sat, 04 Nov 2000 19:25:43 -0600

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Chas Williams <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:
>
> > ntp isnt built (solaris8 comes w/ this as part of the o/s?)
>
> Is there any particular reason not to drop NTP support out of OpenAFS?
> xntpd is available and should probably be recommended, and it seems like a
> duplication of effort to continue to maintain separate NTP code.
>
> (Don't most people already run xntpd and -nosettime?  I know we switched
> to that years ago and never looked back.)

We do that on all machines. (In fact, it occured to me a couple of days
ago that we're also running ntpd on NT, even though there doesn't appear
to be a -nosettime equivalent.)

It might be worthwhile to allow -nosettime to be the default, but have
AFS _check_ the time periodically, and issue a warning in syslogs if it
detects that they are off by too much, and suggest running ntpd.

If nothing else, at least replace the current ntpd code in OpenAFS with
a dropped in copy of the most recent ntpd release. (Note, it's not xntpd
any more.)

-- Nathan

CIS - Systems Programming                Fax: (573) 341-4216