[OpenAFS-devel] Re: openafs patches for solaris 8

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 20:56:23 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> On 4 Nov 2000, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> > Chas Williams <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:
> >
> > > ntp isnt built (solaris8 comes w/ this as part of the o/s?)
> >
> > Is there any particular reason not to drop NTP support out of OpenAFS?
> > xntpd is available and should probably be recommended, and it seems like a
> > duplication of effort to continue to maintain separate NTP code.
>
> People are (may be) using it. I'd like to drop it. Others disagree.

I'm afraid I must disagree with those who disagree.  NTP is not part of
AFS; an NTP implementation has no place in the OpenAFS distribution.
Especially when what we're talking about is an ancient, decrepit NTPv2
implementation.  To release such a thing and (implicitly) encoourage its
use would be a great disservice to the Internet community at large, not to
mention users of OpenAFS -- many NTP servers no longer even speak the v2
protocol.

I also must insist that if the OpenAFS distribution continues to contain
an NTP implementation, that it at least not contain configuration files
which mention my timeservers....

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer