[OpenAFS-devel] openafs cell and contrib area?

Love lha@stacken.kth.se
05 Nov 2000 23:51:30 +0100

[Catching up now when I finaly understod that I never got subscribed to the
 mailinglist, can the mailinglist maintainer make the reply adress to the
 mailinglist mangler a valid one, please ? ]

warlord@MIT.EDU (Derek Atkins) writes:

> Actually, yes.  AFS clients are useless without pointing them at an
> AFS Cell.  I believe that to be truly successful, we need to have a
> 'default' AFS Cell that can be the 'default' ThisCell in OpenAFS
> distributions.  Obviously, people at large sites that are currently
> using AFS would want to point their clients at their own cell.
> However, it would be nice if OpenAFS were _useful_ out-of-the-box
> without human intervention, in ALL cases.

Generate a root.afs by interating over CellServDB and add new cells when
found by dns. Then a solution that avoids that stat()ing a mountpoint
causes a rpc to remote cell.

Another way to solve this to adding a automount like thingy that create the
entry in the root.cell when its looked up (and keep them there for a
while). I think this will confuse people.

Love