[OpenAFS-devel] Initial concern about Linux 2.4 patch

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
05 Nov 2000 17:01:52 -0800

Chas Williams <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:

>> * it appears to add a sys_name of i386_linux24.  I'm not sure that is
>>  a good idea; I believe that the ABI for Linux has been fairly stable

> i made that choice because its just standard 'afs' practice.  that
> doesnt make it right though.  solaris 5.6 5.7 and 5.8 all share the same
> abi, but they have diff afs systypes

I think i386_linux24 makes the most sense.  In practice, this will
probably be associated with glibc 2.2 since most major distributions will
likely do both of those upgrades as part of the same release.  (I believe
Red Hat is doing that.)

> perhaps renaming i386_linux2[24] to i386_linux2?

This would be a bad idea, as i386_linux2 was widely associated with libc5
as this was the @sys value used by the contrib Linux client originally
developed under Linux 2.0 and libc5.