[OpenAFS-devel] Initial concern about Linux 2.4 patch

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
05 Nov 2000 21:49:12 -0800

Chas Williams <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:

> this is great if you are using glibc.  what is your arent?  i believe
> there is an effort underway to make the bsd userland run with the linux
> kernel environment.  they would use i386_linux4?

They would use some other completely different sysname, like i386_linuxbsd
or what have you, since the userland AFS utilities would similarly have to
change for that environment.

> perhaps it would be better to move the linux of the s/w half of the
> sysname entirely.

I think you're falling into the (common) trap of breaking down @sys names
by component and making sense of them.  I used to do this, and then
decided that they were most usefully viewed as an opaque token useful for
some particular purposes.

I really don't care much if it's i386_linux22, linux_glibc21, or uncle_bob
as long as someone somewhere decides what gets a label and hands out
labels in some reasonably appropriate fashion for the uses to which I'd
like to put them.

Distinguishing between glibc 2.1 and glibc 2.2 would be handy if the ABI
isn't backwards-compatible (for reasons similar to the distinction between
sun4x_56 and sun4x_57 being useful).