[OpenAFS-devel] Initial concern about Linux 2.4 patch

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 20:45:29 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> In any event, sysname assignment is going to be a messy issue.  For
> OpenAFS, we should let the gatekeepers handle sysname assignment.

Well, a consistent naming scheme would make more sense than deciding
case-by-case, but we need to agree what that will be. The code in the tree
is on the devel branch for a reason.

> Ideally, developers should get a new sysname assigned _before_ starting
> to distribute code that uses it, in order to minimize the number of people
> who end up using non-standard sysnames because they picked up an early
> patch and started using it.

Yes.

> We'll still have the problem of having both gatekeepers and IBM developers
> doing sysname assignment, which I think is something the gatekeepers and
> elders need to work out with IBM _soon_.

The answer will probably be they don't know. I'm more than willing to ask.

-D