[OpenAFS-devel] Initial concern about Linux 2.4 patch

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
Sun, 05 Nov 2000 21:15:06 -0600

Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
>
> > In any event, sysname assignment is going to be a messy issue.  For
> > OpenAFS, we should let the gatekeepers handle sysname assignment.
>
> Well, a consistent naming scheme would make more sense than deciding
> case-by-case, but we need to agree what that will be. The code in the tree
> is on the devel branch for a reason.
>
> > Ideally, developers should get a new sysname assigned _before_ starting
> > to distribute code that uses it, in order to minimize the number of people
> > who end up using non-standard sysnames because they picked up an early
> > patch and started using it.

One thought that should probably be considered is how many people
actually USE @sys. I know that the build of OpenAFS is the first time
I've used it in quite a long time. I don't use it for the AFS sources
because it doesn't work for keeping multiple versions of the client
around. We typically have something like:

/afs/umr.edu/i386_linux22.36.2.3
/afs/umr.edu/sun4x_56.34a.5.53
/afs/umr.edu/sun4x_56.36.2.5
(I'm not sure how I'm going to do openafs yet, as version numbering will
be an issue for a while.)

That let's us keep the stuff around for as long as stations are using
it.

The point I'm making is - it's not clear to me that it is all that
critical an issue unless most people are actively using it.

-- Nathan

CIS - Systems Programming                Fax: (573) 341-4216