[OpenAFS-devel] Initial concern about Linux 2.4 patch

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
05 Nov 2000 20:30:12 -0800

Nathan Neulinger <nneul@umr.edu> writes:

> One thought that should probably be considered is how many people
> actually USE @sys. I know that the build of OpenAFS is the first time
> I've used it in quite a long time. I don't use it for the AFS sources
> because it doesn't work for keeping multiple versions of the client
> around. We typically have something like:

> /afs/umr.edu/i386_linux22.36.2.3
> /afs/umr.edu/sun4x_56.34a.5.53
> /afs/umr.edu/sun4x_56.36.2.5

> (I'm not sure how I'm going to do openafs yet, as version numbering will
> be an issue for a while.)

We use /afs/ir.stanford.edu/systems/@sys/usr/afs35p3 etc.  People tend to
know what version of AFS they're installing, so that part of the
instructions is easy.  Memorizing the @sys value for their system is more
obscure, so this way they don't have to know or care.

And if they upgrade their operating system in place, there's a chance they
don't have to fiddle with the symlinks.