[OpenAFS-devel] Stack size and pthread_attr_setstacksize

Sam Hartman hartmans@mit.edu
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 18:03:33 -0500 (EST)

First, I noticed that uafs failed to compile on Debian unstable
because src/afs/Ukernel/sysincludes.h defines
pthread_attr_setstacksize to 0 just before including pthread.h.  Not surprisingly, this interacts poorly with the prototype in pthread.h.

This ends up actually compiling successfully on Redhat 6.2.  I'm not sure why and don't really have time to track it down, but I suspect something Redhat  did may have caused pthread.h to get included earlier.

Why is it reasonable to cause pthread_attr_setstacksize not to exist on Linux?  The function is supported both in Glibc 2.1 and 2.2.

Secondly, Linux seems to need more stacksize than the default.  I find
that even with 64k, bosserver coredumps doing a bos restart -all.
With 128kb it works fine.

How should I go about introducing a new mininum stacksize?  I could
add an architectural ifdef in src/lwp/lwp.h.  What do people agree
this should be for Linux?