[reiserfs-list] RE: [OpenAFS-devel] weird issue with reiserfs on 2.4.3 and openaf s

Neulinger, Nathan nneul@umr.edu
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:08:41 -0500

> Sorry, my memory of the workaround isn't that great.  This
> will always work:
> open(file)
> iget(file's inode)
> close(file)
>
> This will work most of the time, but has a window where the
> inode can go
> out of cache:
> open(file)
> close(file)
> iget(file's inode)

Unfortunately, I can only prime this at afsd startup time. Within the kernel
module, the igets are issued later on when files in afs are actually
accessed, and at that time, the kernel module does not know anything about
the cache filenames, only the inodes.

I know y'all don't like that fallback code, and it's obviously a worst case
scenario, but I'd really like to see you add it back in for the simple
reason that 'horribly slow' (and in this case, it won't be, since it's on
it's own partition) is better than 'doesn't work at all'.

I'm not totally averse to adding it back in on my local kernel only if we
can't come up with a better alternative.

-- Nathan