[reiserfs-list] RE: [OpenAFS-devel] weird issue with reiserfs on 2.4.3 and openaf s

Chris Mason mason@suse.com
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:31:11 -0500

On Wednesday, April 11, 2001 10:08:41 AM -0500 "Neulinger, Nathan"
<nneul@umr.edu> wrote:

> Unfortunately, I can only prime this at afsd startup time. Within the
> kernel module, the igets are issued later on when files in afs are
> actually accessed, and at that time, the kernel module does not know
> anything about the cache filenames, only the inodes.

Hmmm, is a userspace daemon doing the opens on the cache files when you
prime the cache?  You might be better off just keeping the cache files open
the whole time.  This is easier if they are done by userspace, since the
closes will happen if the program dies somehow.

> I know y'all don't like that fallback code, and it's obviously a worst
> case scenario, but I'd really like to see you add it back in for the
> simple reason that 'horribly slow' (and in this case, it won't be, since
> it's on it's own partition) is better than 'doesn't work at all'.
>
> I'm not totally averse to adding it back in on my local kernel only if we
> can't come up with a better alternative.

It is easy to patch in, but it doesn't get the real problem solved.  The
problem with keeping the search_by_objectid code is that instead of getting
proper interaction with things like AFS, people end up just thinking
reiserfs is slow.

-chris