[OpenAFS-devel] Weird problem - df increments/decrements usage for "/"

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
21 Apr 2001 03:13:08 -0700

Kangesh Gunaseelan <kangesh@real.com> writes:

> We have a weird problem that we are noticing on an AFS server installed
> on a RH7.0 (kernel 2.2.16-22) where the total disk space reported by "/"
> increases or decreases depending on whether a file is copied on to AFS
> volume partition "/vicepb".  Below, I show what df reports when I copy
> and remove a file under a volume called "testibm3" created on partition
> "/vicepb".  Both "/" and "/vicepb" usage increases or decreases
> depending on whether I copy or remove.  This problem does not occur on
> an AFS server that is installed on RH6.2.  Has anybody seen this
> behavior on RH7.0?

Where's your AFS cache?  Stored in the / file system?

Copying files into AFS goes through the local AFS cache, even if you're on
the same machine as one of the AFS file servers.