[OpenAFS-devel] Call for consensus: configure defaulting behavior change

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery@ece.cmu.edu
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 19:33:21 -0400

On Tuesday, August 28, 2001 19:02:38 -0400, Derrick J Brashear
<shadow@dementia.org> wrote:
+-----
| On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
|
| > > alternately continuing to create a dest area as now as
| > > "staging" and either springboarding to a final install or creating
| > > native packages from it...
| >
| > I don't think we can avoid creating the 'dest' tree, because too many
| > people are already depending on that layout.  Similarly, it would be bad
| > to change the layout of what gets put into 'dest', since that would
| > negate the value in keeping it.
|
| Who are these people and what are they doing? Anyone? (Not that keeping
| the complete tree is hard)
|
| -D

+--->8

Umm, anyone who's been treating OpenAFS as roughly equivalent to Transarc
AFS?  I know that we just relocate dest to $IMAGE/usr/afsws and then
relocate root.client and root.server within that to $IMAGE/ in the client
and server collections.  While rearranging things to work with configure is
ultimately going to ned to happen (and will be a net benefit once it does,
assuming the shared and system-dependent parts are properly segregated), it
doesn't hape to happen immediately if we need to set it up in a hurry (as
with the recent P4+Linux near-disaster...).

--
brandon s. allbery  [os/2][linux][solaris][freebsd]   allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator   [JAPH][WAY too many hats]        allbery@ece.cmu.edu