[OpenAFS-devel] Call for consensus: configure defaulting behavior change

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 23:14:15 -0400 (EDT)

On 28 Aug 2001, Sam Hartman wrote:

> I'd recommend against this.  It seems to be that AFS is either going
> to be built as a site-local, machine-local or OS package.  If it is
> built as site-local or machine-local, you want it to obey the
> conventions of the site or machine not the OS.  If you want it as an
> OS package, you want to obey all the packaging rules not just the OS
> hierarchy rules.  I think these rules go better in packaging files
> like a RedHat spec file or a Debian rules file or a BSD ports makefile
> than in the upstream Openafs sources.

Well, the question is do we want to encourage people who want to build
packages for their own platforms to get the paths right by giving them an
option which does it for them?

-D