[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] Using tmpfs for afs cache

Jeremy Katz katzj@redhat.com
03 Dec 2001 12:47:47 -0500

On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 11:40, David Thompson wrote:
> "Charles Karney" wrote:
> >
> >Recent Linux kernel support tmpfs with semantics similar to Solaris.  This
> >gets installed by default with RedHat 7.2.  Here is a portion of the
> >documentation for the kernel configuration:
>
> Having that fs available in linux is very cool.  Too bad for afs, afsd oops's
> when you try to start it with a tmpfs cache mounted.
>
> If I have time, I'll try to debug it.  If anyone else wants to, there are many
> who could find out the problem much faster than me.  :)

My first guess without looking at all is that tmpfs isn't providing
something which OpenAFS assumes works.  eg, tmpfs doesn't work as a
backing store for loopback mounts as well as several other things.

Cheers,

Jeremy