[OpenAFS-devel] afs and byte-range locking ideas

Cameron, Frank Cameron@ctc.com
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 23:52:30 -0500

>As was pointed out, do to the way AFS File Caching works, you will
>"never" get AFS to work with your former problem (multiple hosts
>accesing an Office document).  Having a single host access an
>Outlook file, however, we should be able to do (multiple locks on
>one client).

Personally, I'm not concerned with multiple hosts both being able
to modify a file.  Only that when one host opens the file a second
host can't.  With an Office document on an NT, NetWare, or Samba
server this works; the second person to open a file is told that the
file is already open.  Currently in AFS, there is no warning given
to the second user.

-frank