[OpenAFS-devel] Java JNI access to Venus, Vlserver and Volserver ??

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 12:37:04 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Jim Doyle wrote:

> Has anyone done anything w.r.t. writing Java JNI accessors to
> native AFS APIs ?
>
> Is it even possible to do this, given the fact that LWPs and
> Java Threads (pthreads) in the same address space may conflict ?

OpenAFS includes a pthreaded Rx library, but of course it can't be used
directly for this; Like the fileserver was, things need to be rewritten to
deal with the expectations of a pthreads world. There's also the pthreads
LWP wrapper in Arla which has the same semantics as real LWP, but when
glibc 2.1 came out it stopped working, despite working on glibc 2.0's
pthreads and every other pthreads implementation it was tried with. I
continue to believe some inconsistency was introduced in the pthreads in
glibc 2.1 as I saw the lossage this library tickled in a few other cases,
but I never went back to figure out just what it was. It may or may not
work with the current glibc pthreads support.

-D