[OpenAFS-devel] device nodes...

Love lha@stacken.kth.se
25 Feb 2001 16:59:32 +0100

Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU> writes:

> Love <lha@stacken.kth.se> writes:
>
> > When do you need device-nodes in AFS space ? I would guess that you'll need
>
> I need them when, for example, I'm building an initrd for the MIT/SIPB
> RedHat-Athena installation diskette.
> [...]

I see no techincal problem with storing the devices nodes in afs (working
lookup, getattr, and setattr, returning EACCES for read/write/etc).

I see no sane way of making device nodes working (as device nodes), and
having a good and simple access control.

> > Use a memfs/ramfs/tmpfs/nullfs/devfs instead, and created the nodes
> > if needed.
>
> There is no long-term storage in any of these systems.  How does that
> help me?

Not in this case. Old redhat install images used to create device nodes on
a ramfs "if needed" for disk-devices.

Love