[OpenAFS-devel] device nodes...

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
25 Feb 2001 13:52:31 -0500

Love <lha@stacken.kth.se> writes:

> I see no techincal problem with storing the devices nodes in afs (working
> lookup, getattr, and setattr, returning EACCES for read/write/etc).

This limitation would certianly solve my problem...

> Not in this case. Old redhat install images used to create device nodes on
> a ramfs "if needed" for disk-devices.

Yes, except the install disk need /dev/tty, /dev/ram, etc on the
initrd in order for the installer to actually work.  There's a list of
a couple dozen (IIRC) device inodes that the installer expects to
exist.  Yes, it builds HDD devices on-the-fly into a ramdisk, but
that's later in the process.

> Love

-derek