[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Backups using commercial products

Mitch Collinsworth mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 11:38:06 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Ken Hornstein wrote:

> >On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Lyle Seaman wrote:
> >
> >> 1. be sure to coordinate the volume access with the vol server so
> >> that it doesn't get moved or deleted out from under you.  This is
> >> trickier than it sounds.
> >
> >Just out of curiousity what happens now when a backup is in
> >progress (backup dump or vos dump of a BK volume) and a vos
> >move or vos remove is issued?  Both of these result in the BK
> >volume being deleted.  Are they held pending completion of
> >the backup operation first?
>
> I thought that locking the volume would have been sufficient; doesn't
> that do anything?

Don't know.  I was asking the same question.  Lyle's comments above
were addressing the context of doing a direct volume dump from the
file server without going through the volserver (i.e. not using vos
dump or backup dump).  I was just wondering out loud if in the
presence of the same competing accesses this is a non-issue when
doing the dump "the normal way".