[OpenAFS-devel] Multiple AFS principals per pts id?

Neulinger, Nathan R. nneul@umr.edu
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 11:39:56 -0600

One word. Politics.

For the longest time, we weren't even going to be allowed to have
under-8-char userids in the second realm.

We're looking at a lot of options. One of them is just ignoring the whole
issue, and keep the realms completely separate, one using MS, and one using
MIT, no communication between the two.

At the moment, I have AFS running against an MIT KDC, realm umr.edu. There
is another realm with equivalent (mostly) userids rolla.umr.edu. We're
trying to figure out the best way of dealing with the situation. Cross realm
(logging in with rolla.umr.edu) seems to be pretty reasonable.

Another option is renaming all machines, changing cell to rolla.umr.edu,
etc. but that comes with it's own large set of problems. I _know_ that
cross-realm works, but the ACLs and file ownership are the real issue there.
We can force the userids to be the same, that isn't a horrible problem.

-- Nathan