[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Backups using commercial products

John_Morin@transarc.com John_Morin@transarc.com
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:47:15 -0500 (EST)

Excerpts from OpenAFS: 6-Jan-101 Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Re: Bac.. Lyle
Seaman@spinnakernet (1999*)

> John M, is there any reason that the order of the volume dump contents
> needs to match the order of the large/small vnode lists?  I can't think
> of
> any reason, but then, I never have understood that code.

Hi Lyle:
Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I'm just catching up with the mail now.

A volume dump currently dumps the directory vnodes first and then the
file vnodes. The vnodes (and the data) are dumped in the order they
appear in the large/small vnode index file.

There is no requirement that they be in this order. They could be
resorted based on inode number.

Some of the tools that were written to parse the volume dump file,
though, expect the directories to be first. This is true for the
"restorevol" binary.

	- John Morin.