[OpenAFS-devel] MODVERSIONS patch

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:05:46 -0500 (EST)

On 23 Jan 2001, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Michael Welsh Duggan <md5i@cs.cmu.edu> writes:
>
> > Because that is the standard place kernel modules should go, according
> > to the FHS.  Have I misunderstood the question?
>
> Yes, you have misunderstood the question.  OpenAFS is not part of the
> Linux Kernel (indeed, it is not Linux-specific in any way).  It
> provides its own location and loading methods for its module.  Why are
> you bypassing those and then trying to backfeed into OpenAFS?  Unless,
> of course, this is in preparation for a Linux kernel code-drop?

Dirty confession: I have always put my AFS modules, whether Transarc, Open
or Arla, in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/fs

My scripts just use modprobe. If you like, assume the module gets there by
"occult means". But, modules live where modules live, not off in the rest
of the world

-D
-also puts Solaris modules in /kernel/fs/afs, with a link in /kernel/sys