[OpenAFS-devel] unresolved symbol _mmx_memcpy

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 03:01:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Adam Simpkins wrote:

> I am seeing the same problems as reported by Jan Pospisil on his email
> from May 3,2 2001.  I was just upgrading my kernel and OpenAFS, and I
> am running into the following problem:  when I try to load the AFS
> module, it reports _mmx_memcpy as an unresolved symbol.
>
> I am using kernel 2.4.6, compiled for an Athlon/K7 with module version
> support turned on.
>
> I am compiling OpenAFS 1.0.4a from the sources (I have also tried with
> 1.0.4).  I am compiling against the correct kernel sources.

Given that 1.0.4 and 1.0.4a are exactly the same except for Windows,
that's not surprising.

> I beleive the problem is that AFS is not being compiled with the
> proper support for module versions.  The AFS module is using the
> symbol _mmx_memcpy, which is without the extra versioning information.
>
> I would prefer to fix this without turning off module versioning in
> the kernel.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit src/config/i386_linux24.h; rearrange so
#if defined(MODULE) && defined(CONFIG_MODVERSIONS)
#define MODVERSIONS
#include <linux/modversions.h>
#endif

is included before
#include <afs/afs_sysnames.h>

(which you can just move near the bottom)

This is fixed in CVS and will be in a release any day now (as soon as 1
more configure-related issue is fixed)

-D