[OpenAFS-devel] Solaris-8/64-bit problem with mtime = Jan 1 1970

Ole Benner olb@kom.auc.dk
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 14:16:18 +0200

Derek Atkins wrote:

> As I said, this is a problem because you are trying to, effectively,
> set a time _BEFORE_ the epoch.  You can't do that on some platforms;
> it is an undefined operation.

I am not convinced that it is the case but I cannot prove othervice.
What doesn't make sense is that the same platform (sun4x_58) and the
exact same binaries except from the kernel module (libafs64.nonfs.o
versus libafs.nonfs.o) on identical configured SUNs behaves differently.

> I don't think I want to know WHY you even trying to set a date/time
> to 1970.  But if you can show me the problem with any other date, then
> I'll consider it a bug.  Otherwise, I consider this a "don't do that"
> situation.

I don't want to set the date back to 1970 but I suddently had some files
with that date and I don't know how I got the. Maybe from some bad
behaving program or from a FAS client with clock out of sync (Maybe W2k
AFS client). I couldn't find a reason for the date on the files, but I
discovered that 'touch filename' on my Linux box fixed the problem. Then
I started investigating.

What I really doesn't like is that it is possible with such simple
command to make a file unaccessible and if I don't have an AFS client
that can see the file I cannot get it back. Once the file has the
mentioned date I cannot touch it again on my 64bit host. It is gone...

/Ole