[OpenAFS-devel] Linux Kernel Module build question

Jeremy Katz katzj@linuxpower.org
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 00:56:14 -0400

On Wednesday, July 11 2001, Derek Atkins said:
> Currently the Module build system for Linux automatically compiles
> with -U__SMP__ on UP/SP builds and -D__SMP__ on MP/SMP builds.  These
> are currently defined in src/libafs/MakefileProto.LINUX.in.  My
> question is: do we actually need this?  Does the AFS code depend on
> these definitions existing?  Who is actually depending on __SMP__
> being defined (or undefined)?

These are used in the 2.2 kernel headers for defining various things
based on whether you are using an SMP or UP kernel.  Primary use is for
making sure the proper kernel lock declarations are used.  Nothing in
the 2.4 kernel should require __SMP__ to be defined; if it does, that is
considered to be a driver bug which should be fixed.

Cheers,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Katz