[OpenAFS-devel] Linux Kernel Module build question

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
12 Jul 2001 11:42:41 -0400

Jeremy Katz <katzj@linuxpower.org> writes:

> On Thursday, July 12 2001, Derek Atkins said:
> > I have sent a patch to Derrick that will enable me to better build Red
> > Hat kernels (especially on 7.1).  The kludge I'm going to use is to
> > replace /boot/kernel.h for each kernel-module build.
>
> And you will break building the packages as non-root.  This is not the
> right answer at all.  The only package which should ever have to be
> built as root is a package containing device nodes (and even that
> requirement should be going away real soon now).

Well, it's a short-term solution until Red Hat fixes your bug.
Considering you need to be root in order to install the RPMs in the
first place, I don't consider it a major hastle that you need to be
root to build it as well.

> > The other problem is choosing the right module.  I'm still working on
> > that one.
>
> The UP/SMP mechanism already present should work fine (actually, are you
> installing to /lib/modules now or still to /usr/vice/etc/modload?)  In
> addition to that, you can just build multiple times using --target (eg,
> --target=i586, --target=i686) and add proper %ifarch macros to the
> specfiles so that the only things which get built with the non-base
> architectures is the kernel modules package.   Normal RPM magic then
> applies as far as getting the right modules.

I am still installing modules in /usr/vice/etc/modload.  I don't want
to have multiple user-space packages, just multiple kernel-modules.

What do you mean by building 'multiple times using --target'?  Can you
show me an example of that?

> Jeremy

-derek