[OpenAFS-devel] Linux Kernel Module build question

Jeremy Katz katzj@linuxpower.org
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 08:28:30 -0700

On Thursday, July 12 2001, Derek Atkins said:
> I have sent a patch to Derrick that will enable me to better build Red
> Hat kernels (especially on 7.1).  The kludge I'm going to use is to
> replace /boot/kernel.h for each kernel-module build.

And you will break building the packages as non-root.  This is not the
right answer at all.  The only package which should ever have to be
built as root is a package containing device nodes (and even that
requirement should be going away real soon now).

> The other problem is choosing the right module.  I'm still working on
> that one.

The UP/SMP mechanism already present should work fine (actually, are you
installing to /lib/modules now or still to /usr/vice/etc/modload?)  In
addition to that, you can just build multiple times using --target (eg,
--target=i586, --target=i686) and add proper %ifarch macros to the
specfiles so that the only things which get built with the non-base
architectures is the kernel modules package.   Normal RPM magic then
applies as far as getting the right modules.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Katz
katzj@linuxpower.org	| jlkatz@eos.ncsu.edu