[OpenAFS-devel] Linux Kernel Module build question

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
12 Jul 2001 13:17:32 -0400

Sam Hartman <hartmans@mekinok.com> writes:

> Now that you have been presented a solution within the Redhat model
> that could support this, I think you should adopt it.

Unfortunately it is not sufficient.  Unless there is some way to add a
'Requires:' that is based on the actual architecture, it still is
insufficient for my needs.  If I could insert a requires statement
that says, in essence, "Requires: kernel-2.4.2-3.i586" then yea, that
would solve part of my problem.

Even if the 'requires' problem got solved, it still wouldn't help me
build for multiple kernels at once.  I would have to go out an
specifically rebuild the package for every kernel, manually.  This
means instead of a single 'rpm' build command, I would need N*M rpm
commands, where N is the number of architectures and M is the number
of kernels.  That can get to a large number relatively quickly (for RH
6.2 I built against 6 kernels; RH 7.1 has 5 'architectures' for x86).

Unfortunately there is not a simple answer for the
build-against-multiple-kernels problem.

Sam, you have the benefit of actually building something that will be
'shipped' with the OS as a whole.  I don't have that benefit.  So,
just because something is the right way for you, and might be the
right way if Red Hat did it themselves, does not necessarily mean it
is the right way for me to do it as a third-party.

-derek