[OpenAFS-devel] Linux Kernel Module build question

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:51:18 -0400 (EDT)

On 12 Jul 2001, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Jeremy Katz <katzj@linuxpower.org> writes:
>
> > On Thursday, July 12 2001, Derek Atkins said:
> > > I have sent a patch to Derrick that will enable me to better build Red
> > > Hat kernels (especially on 7.1).  The kludge I'm going to use is to
> > > replace /boot/kernel.h for each kernel-module build.
> >
> > And you will break building the packages as non-root.  This is not the
> > right answer at all.  The only package which should ever have to be
> > built as root is a package containing device nodes (and even that
> > requirement should be going away real soon now).
>
> Well, it's a short-term solution until Red Hat fixes your bug.
> Considering you need to be root in order to install the RPMs in the
> first place, I don't consider it a major hastle that you need to be
> root to build it as well.

I do.  Building software is a length an complex process.  It involves
running lots of programs, and people usually don't go over every command
that configure and make will invoke with a fine-toothed comb.  Building
software as a privileged user is _dumb_, and we should not do anything to
require that people do so.

-- Jeff