[OpenAFS-devel] Linux Kernel Module build question

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
12 Jul 2001 17:39:53 -0400

Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com> writes:

> So, you are pretty much stuck with at least four kernel variants (i386,
> i586, i586-SMP, i686-SMP-enterprise) to meet users' requirements, and if
> you have to support those variants, it's really not much pain to support
> athlon & i686 as well.
>
> So, to quote a well known hacker, "you're on crack" ;-)

No, your naming scheme is on crack.  You currently have kernel,
kernel-smp, and kernel-enterprise.  That takes care of an easy way to
differentiate.  Why not have kernel-386, kernel-586, kernel-686,
kernel-568-smp, kernel-686-smp, etc?  That would have made life really
easy.

As I said earlier: tell me how to build a 'Requires' statement that
works off the architecture, and that will end the discussion.  Until
you can tell me how to do that, I still consider it an issue.

No, depending on an installer or other tool to keep the user from
shooting themselves in the foot is not sufficient, IMHO.  RPM should
have this capability.  Perhaps it does.  But if so, I can't find any
documentation on how to do it.

-derek