[OpenAFS-devel] strings.h or strings.h

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 10:30:13 -0500

Chas Williams wrote:

> in the 1.1.1 sources the string.h/strings.h problems seems to be have
> been resolved in the following fashion:
>
> #ifdef HAVE_STRINGS_H
> #include <strings.h>
> #else
> #ifdef HAVE_STRING_H
> #include <string.h>
> #endif
> #endif
>
> for solaris this is fine.  almost everything is in strings.h.  for linux
> this is a poor choice.  almost everything is in string.h.  unfortunately
> both header files, strings.h and string.h seem to be included on both
> systems.  espc on the ia64, where when you miss prototypes you know it.
> what should be done about this?
>
> . make configure decide which is better
> . just include both

Is there any platform other than AIX that flips out if you include both?

I'd say that we could go back to including both, and just undeff'ing
HAVE_STRING_H on aix? Or perhaps we should put in a compile test that
would check for the failure that gets caused on aix if it's testable?

-- Nathan

CIS - Systems Programming                Fax: (573) 341-4216