[OpenAFS-devel] Extremely newbie question

Jonathan Day jd9812@my-deja.com
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:44:18 -0700

Hi,

I think you mis-interpreted the question. I'm wanting the source code linked into the main kernel tree, so that when I upgrade the kernel, AFS is still going to work.

The problem with RPMs is that they're pre-compiled kernels, with options which'll work for most people, most of the time, but at the price of being horribly sub-optimal and potentially missing out stuff that's useful but just too specific.

The other problem with RPMs is that AFS is still compiled as a module. It's not built into the kernel. This means that it's not going to work well with diskless devices, as there's nowhere to keep seperate module files. (Unfortunately, that's one of my needs.)

The module status also means that it takes more memory (as well as more disk space), is going to be slightly slower to access, may get loaded and/or unloaded at the whim of autoclean (with all the overheads that involves), and you need one copy for every kernel you have installed.

If it's in the kernel tree, itself, these are all resolved. Well, I guess you still have one "copy" for every kernel, but you don't have to fret over whether it's installed, in the right place, with the right version symbols, etc, etc, etc.

Jonathan Day

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--
http://www.deja.com/