[OpenAFS-devel] advfs cache support for tru64 unix

joda+openafs@pdc.kth.se joda+openafs@pdc.kth.se
16 Mar 2001 10:19:07 +0100

Hi folks,

Derrick has committed some patches to make AFS happy about having the
cache in advfs. This is accomplished by using the advfs built-in
lookup-by-inumber mechanism instead of groveling around in internal
structures.

This might mean that the performance is less than optimal, a simple
test seems to indicate that it's somewhat slower than a
UFS-cache. First start of afsd with many cache-files is much faster
though (no surprise).

The alternative is making Compaq release the relevant interface
structures for advfs, which I don't want to mess around with. I did
try doing it the `right' way by using bs_get_current_tag + bf_get, but
the same simple test (`find -exec wc' on a large file set) didn't show
any performance improvement.

Anyway it would be great if more people could try this out before
1.0.4 or 1.1 or whatever the next release will be called. Especially
interesting is performance figures.

If it isn't obvious: this is *only* for the client cache, vice
partitions still has to be UFS.

/Johan