[OpenAFS-devel] DRAFT: New sysname standard

Ted McCabe ted@MIT.EDU
Tue, 8 May 2001 13:02:18 -0400

At 4:35 PM -0500 5/7/01, Neulinger, Nathan wrote:
>Yep. I figure just have:
>
>fs setvar -name sys -value i386_linux22
>fs setvar -name umr_arch -value redhat62
>
>Should be very simple to implement, just need to add an additional
>userspace->kernel opcode/pioctl call that takes two arguments. A "setvar"
>for a variable that doesn't exist would create it, a setvar with no value
>would delete it.
>
>If no one else is already working on this, I'll be happy to work on a
>prototype implementation for linux.

This looks like a cool idea, except that I think it will wreak havoc
for clients trying to read filesystems in other cells.  AFS is a
shared filespace after all.

Such a scheme for allowing dynamic allocation of additional/arbitrary
@variables seems to require a method of exporting your @variables and
mappings so that other cells can understand your filesystem.
Otherwise, there's nothing standard about it.

    --Ted