[OpenAFS-devel] DRAFT: New sysname standard

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 8 May 2001 20:33:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Ted McCabe wrote:

> >   Otherwise, there's nothing standard about it.
> >
> >Variable names and values would be standarized by convention only, just as
> >they are today.
>
> Yes, but at least we have a convention.  The proposal I am objecting
> to lacks any such convention.  I can imagine such a convention coming
> into being for specified @variables (which reminds of other issues,
> but issues that I see as eventually resolvable and not germane here).
> With arbitrary @variables coming into play, I can only imagine
> confusion as the result.  I'd welcome any method of establishing an
> @variable/value convention that could avoid said confusion while
> supporting arbitrary @variable usage.

It would certainly be reasonable to come up with and publish a set of
"standard"  variables and conventions for how their values are chosen.
Such a standard should include a breakdown of what parts of the namespace
are standardized and what parts are reserved for local, cell- or
site-specific use.