[OpenAFS-devel] fs whereis info doesn't update when afsd is using different repli cate...

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
Tue, 08 May 2001 21:59:17 -0500

aeneous@speakeasy.org wrote:

> > I can issue fs whereis on a dir/file, shut down that server, and then access
> > the file (hangs for a long time then recovers), and then issue fs whereis
> > again, and it still shows the original server (that is still down).
> >
> > Is there any way to get an accurate answer from fs whereis in this
> > situation?
>
> not to be patronizing...
>
> If you are seeing the list of all replicas in preference order, that *is* an accurate answer.  It's printing them from the in-memory volume structure.  "fs checkservers" is the command to see which servers are down.  If you want to change the order, use "fs setserverprefs" and then look at what
> "fs whereis" tells you.

Ah, I had thought the whereis results updated when servers were down.
(i.e. preference dropped when the server was down) A bit of background -
I'm trying to track down a problem whereby a number of my server-clients
seem to not be recovering from server failure, even though they seem to
be hanging on access to read-only replicated volumes.

-- Nathan

CIS - Systems Programming                Fax: (573) 341-4216