[OpenAFS-devel] Successfully (sort-of) running 3.6 2.14 on W2K Terminal Server

Leif Johansson leifj@it.su.se
Tue, 08 May 2001 18:33:25 +0200

We just finished playing with 3.6 2.14 for W2K and found that we =

could in fact get the thing working with Terminal Server if we did =

the following:

1. Replace afscreds.exe and afsauthen.dll with the corresponding
   files from 3.6 2.5 (yes we are tough guys here :-)
2. (Optionally) replace tokens.exe and klog.exe in the same way.

For those who have tried to run the w2k client on a terminal server
despite the warning against it on the release notes for 3.6 2.14 knows
that whenever you try to get tokens (either with klog or afscreds.exe
the command hangs a long while followed by an error about there beeing
"No authentication servers available". In fact not a single bit seems =

to go across the wire and the problem lies with the authentication =

subsystem in the afs client.

Also if you try to replace only klog/tokens you actually get
tokens that work but with very strange principals. For instance =

getting tokens for "foo" in the local cell will result in afscreds
and tokens displaying valid tokens for "foo.<garbage>" where garbage
looks very much like random memory leading us to the belief that
much of this is a simple case of a nonterminated string.

The W2K client works quite well for TSE (the 3.6 2.5 crashed quite
often as has been reported by others aswell -- I doubt that this =

is a TSE-related problem) with one glorious exception: users are not
able to get new tokens -- i.e if you disgard tokens you cannot use
afscreds or klog to get new ones. The error message ("no information
about realm" or something to that effect) leads us to believe that
the TSE user either is looking at the wrong afsdcell.ini or is =

unable to read C:\winnt\afsdcell.ini.

Comments? Thoughts? Fixes from transarc?

	Cheers
	Leif Johanssson <leifj@it.su.se>
	Martin Viklund <viklund@it.su.se>