[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Successfully (sort-of) running 3.6 2.14 on W2K Terminal Server

Jim Erb cameron@ctc.com
Tue, 08 May 2001 13:33:03 -0400

We have been running a straight 3.6 2.5 install on a couple of W2K
TSE boxes w/ Citrix MetaFrame 1.8 with few problems.  (When we tried
to run he version of 3.6 before 2.5 afscreds would hang for a while
before erroring out.)  The problem we have had is that once every day
or two afsd_service dies, usually with an error at smb.c line 624.
We finally got a copy of a patched afsd_service from Transarc and I
installed the patch on one of our servers, the version stamp on the
patch is AFS 3.6 2.6.  So far the service hasn't died on that server
since (but, neither has the unpatched server and it's only been a few
days).  We are planning to hold off on upgrading the servers to patch2
until we see what happens with the unpatched vs. patched server and
until the next scheduled maintenance window for the servers.  I have
seen an individual user lose their copy of the cell information and
they must manually re-enter the cell info into their afsdcell.ini.
It looks like TSE is not properly propogating the system afsdcell.ini
to the users' profile directories.  I just had a thought that maybe
TSE is getting 'confused' by a file named *.ini that does not follow
MS standard ini file format.

-frank