[OpenAFS-devel] openafs-kernel-1.0.4-24.1.i386.rpm for Redhat 7.1 is i686, not i386

Todd M. Lewis Todd_Lewis@unc.edu
Wed, 09 May 2001 10:21:04 -0400

I installed vanilla RedHat 7.1 on two boxes, then installed the
openafs-kernel-1.0.4-24.1.i386.rpm (and friends). After necessary
modifications to config files for our cell, the first machine work
perfectly (thank you), while the second wouldn't load the kernel module.

The problem turns out to be the machine type (uname -m); the modules
seem to work fine on an i686, but not on an i586. RedHat's installer
actually installs different kernels appropriate to the specific machine,
and the symbols in openafs-kernel-1.0.4-24.1.i386.rpm actually match
their i686 kernel.

After grabbing the source rpm, rebuilding and installing the new rpms on
the i586, that machine now works fine too.

Anyway, if people are having trouble getting the rpms on
http://openafs.org/ to load on some boxes, the problem may be a mismatch
between the kernel module and which processor their kernels are running
on/built for.
  / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu              http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
 /(919) 962-5273     Official Signature of the New Millennium /