[OpenAFS-devel] openafs-kernel-1.0.4-24.1.i386.rpm for Redhat 7.1 is i686, not i386

Jeremy Katz katzj@linuxpower.org
Sun, 13 May 2001 20:04:44 -0700

--FLPM4o+7JoHGki3m

On Wednesday, May 09 2001, Todd M. Lewis said:
> I installed vanilla RedHat 7.1 on two boxes, then installed the
> openafs-kernel-1.0.4-24.1.i386.rpm (and friends). After necessary
> modifications to config files for our cell, the first machine work
> perfectly (thank you), while the second wouldn't load the kernel module.
>=20
> The problem turns out to be the machine type (uname -m); the modules
> seem to work fine on an i686, but not on an i586. RedHat's installer
> actually installs different kernels appropriate to the specific machine,
> and the symbols in openafs-kernel-1.0.4-24.1.i386.rpm actually match
> their i686 kernel.

Ugh, I was afraid this was going to happen in the stock packages since
it was happening in mine but Derek said it worked.  Okie, guess I'll
work on extracting out a patch for the stock spec file so that you can
build with --target=3Dix86 and get the right thing for i386, i586, and
i686 openafs-kernel packages.  This will, unfortunately, then require
that you pick the right openafs package for your architecture (and
require building for each when the packages for each release is built,
but it really is just the kernel bits that have to be rebuilt often) but
there's really not a way around it other than just telling people on
non-i686 that they have to rebuild. =3D\ =20
=20
> After grabbing the source rpm, rebuilding and installing the new rpms on
> the i586, that machine now works fine too.
>=20
> Anyway, if people are having trouble getting the rpms on
> http://openafs.org/ to load on some boxes, the problem may be a mismatch
> between the kernel module and which processor their kernels are running
> on/built for.

Nope, the SMP problem is a different one that persists through the
latest ac kernel I tried before exams started.  Not working at NCSU over
the summer, but I'm going to get back to looking at this once I have
more than a modem to work with.  My best guess is another struct that's
different in the ac kernel from the stock kernel that openafs has copied
in.

Jeremy

--=20
Jeremy Katz
katzj@linuxpower.org	| jlkatz@eos.ncsu.edu
http://linuxpower.org	| Developer, NCSU Realm Kit for Red Hat Linux
GPG fingerprint: 367E 8B6B 5E57 2BDB 972A 4D73 C83C B4E8 89FE 392D

--FLPM4o+7JoHGki3m

--FLPM4o+7JoHGki3m--