[OpenAFS-devel] afs-nfs translator

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 14 May 2001 10:05:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Harald Barth wrote:

> > -How problematic is this for people? Does anyone care? How much? Is
this
> > on anyone's list of things to work on?
>
> I see the following uses for the translator:
>
> * Access from OS:es where native AFS is "difficult" for some reason.
>   Examples are Unicos10 and Fujitsu/Siemens UXP/V, Our Cray is no
>   longer in production and the Fujitsu will probably soon follow.
>   I don't see any new "difficult" OS:es at the horizon, but other
>   sites may have other hardware with other strange software.

The thing I was going to do some time ago and never got to, and probably
never will, was basically grafting an nfsv3 frontend to one of the
userlevel cache managers (the Arla cache manager or the OpenAFS
usermode one, or both) and essentially re-exporting AFS from a machine to
itself via NFS, because I think it would be easier than playing around in
the kernel. I haven't re-evaluated the position recently.

-D