[OpenAFS-devel] Suggestions for features/ideas...

Neulinger, Nathan nneul@umr.edu
Wed, 23 May 2001 12:51:30 -0500

Couple ideas/desirable features:

Ability to move a read-write volume to a separate server while maintaining
any backup/clone volumes - i.e. somehow move the backup volume as well.
Seems to me that moving the backup volume would not be a problem - just
changes to vos command, but the hard part would be doing this without having
it take up double the volume space on the new server. (I'd probably be
willing to accept double-space usage as an interim implementation though.)
Currently, you lose the backup volume when you move the rw volume. This is
the only user-visible impact of moving the RW volume - being able to move RW
volumes without this impact would make afs just that much more
location-independent.

Ability to flag a volume as read-only - even though it's actually a
read-write volume. I'd like to be able to mount a volume (likely restore
vol) so the user can get to all the data within it, maintaining the acl's as
is, but make it so that user cannot make any changes to it.

Some way to merge the links of two volumes - i.e. say you have two
almost-identical volumes on the server - compare all the files within those
volumes. If two are exactly identical, link them to the same data on disk,
similar to what cloning does. (This might be a way to get rid of the
double-space usage of the first item above.)

-- Nathan