[OpenAFS-devel] Problems with shutting down afsd - revisited

Markus Alt altmark@de.ibm.com
Sun, 27 May 2001 22:37:18 +0200

Jim Rees wrote:

> What you really need is disconnected afs.  I'm working on it.

That would definetely be great!

> Until then, it seems to me afs should fail immediately if there is no
> network.  I don't know whether OpenAFS does that or not, but Transarc afs
> used to sit there and eventually time out.

I haven't tried it so far, but I can imagine at least two problems with
that:

1. If I leave AFS running although I shut the network down and reconnect
the machine the next morning, how long will it take until the AFS client
recovers? And will it recover at all after such a "long" period of
network outage?

2. More severe: As I usually also have AFS directories in my $PATH,
would working with a still running AFS client but no network connection
be possible? In other words: Wouldn't I get quite long, annoying
timeouts each time I e.g. try to expand a file or command name in the
shell (as it also tries to look into the AFS dirs)?

That's why I'd rather have a "clean" solution like I had with kernel 2.2
- or disconnected AFS! Ah, what did you say, when it will be ready ...?
;-)

Markus

--
Markus Alt